Obudu Mountain Resort: My 'little slice of Eden'

I have really enjoyed my time in calabar over the past weeks and it has really got me thinking. I'm beginning to see so much beauty and potential in Cross River State.  This state could be the next Lagos if only we could just invest more on it. Discover hidden potentials and explore them as much as we can. With that said I would like to share a little piece of my state I love with you guys. As a tourism student I got a chance to really explore my state. 




A year ago, my classmates and I went on a field trip across Cross river state. Visiting famous tourist sites like, Agbokim waterfalls, Buancho Drill Ranch, Cross River National park and then Obudu Mountain Resort.  It was such an amazing experience and quite frankly made me consider being and Ecotourism expert for a moment, but as much as I loved it I had other dreams which surpassed my love for wild life and Mother Nature. The best part of the trip was when we visited the Obudu Mountain Resort. It is such a beautiful place and it saddened me that we didn't get to explore the place since we got there so late. So I decided to visit for my birthday.




Luckily I did and my time there was absolutely beautiful and magical if you can believe that. Back then plans for my blog were still in the works so I decided to put my experience in a box and tell it when I had a chance to.




The ranch is properly one of the most beautiful place on earth. I call it 'a little slice of Eden' cause it makes me think of the beautiful biblical paradise we were suppose to inherit. My experience being at the ranch was weirdly spiritual for me. I felt transported and I felt at peace. It was scary going up the mountain,  going on the hanging bridge but it's all part of the fun. It's an experience you won't forget in a hurry that I can assure you.


About the Resort




Obudu Mountain Resort, formerly known as Obudu Cattle Ranch, is one of the most beautiful and pleasant tourist centers in Nigeria. It is located on the Obudu Plateau, close to the Cameroon border, in the Northeastern part of Cross Rivers State. This resort center has grown to become a major destination choice for tourists. It has an attractive landscape and calming ambience, with clouds smiling down on its peaks and valleys. It offers visitors a good blend of warm and cold temperature, as it has a very temperate weather.

The rooms in Obudu Mountain Resort are made up of chalets, standard room, executive room, huts to presidential suites. Although this resort is open to visitors throughout the year, the period between October and February is the best time to visit, as it is the time when the sky is very bright and the air is frosty.



History of Obudu Mountain Resort

The history of this resort located in Obudu Plateau can be traced back to when Mr Caughley, a Scottish Rancher, first explored the mountain ranges in 1949, as he camped on the mountaintop for a month before returning with Mr Hugh Jones, a fellow rancher, in 1951. Thus, it was developed in 1951 by two ranchers; Mr Hugh Jones and Dr Crawfield.

Best Time To Visit Mountain Resort

Fun knows no end at Obudu Mountain Resort, albeit the best time to
 visit Obudu Mountain Resort is the festive period, December, as you are sure to get fun at its peak during this period. The weather during this period is also favourable, as the festive period falls within the dry season in Cross Rivers, where Obudu Mountain Resort is located.

How To Get To Obudu Mountain Resort

There’s a  direct flight from Lagos and Abuja to Calabar, from where you can get a Bus to the Resort. When you arrive in Calabar, take a bus that is going straight to Obudu, in order to save you some time, as other buses may have several stops on the way. It costs about 2,000 Naira. The distance between Obudu and the ranch is about 1 hour.There are taxis at Obudu that will transport you to the Ranch at a cost of 600 Naira. Driving from Calabar to the mountain resort could take up to 6 hours, which gives you ample time to enjoy the sight of the vegetation and the scenery on your way.


Things To Do At Obudu Mountain Resort

Get on the Cable Car

When you visit the Obudu Mountain Resort,  either drive from the bottom of the hill or take the cable car to get to the top of the resort centre. The hilltop is about 11 km of winding road from the base. Driving up takes about 25 minutes while using the cable car takes about 6 minutes. This Cable Car transport is the pièce de résistance at Obudu Mountain Resort and has been described as the longest cable car in the African continent. Tourists who visit this resort are always eager to get on this cable car and enjoy the fun of riding to the top of the resort in this car, as it affords you enlivening and exciting vistas of green rolling hills.



Play Outdoor Games

At the Obudu Mountain Resort, the fun never stops, as there are loads of fun outdoor activities to get involved in. You can let loose with activities like swimming, horse-riding, golfing and hiking. This resort has two large river-sized swimming pools, where you can enjoy time in the water and also relax in the outdoor pool bed. When hiking, it is recommended that you go with firm boots and be psychologically prepared for the climbing expedition. With its 9-hole golf course, you are allowed to play a game of golf. The lush vegetation around the golfing area is an amazing sight to behold.

Join the Obudu Mountain Race

Obudu has a race competition it holds every year, where it offers an attractive cash price. It is usually held in November. Against this backdrop, in the event that you visit Obudu in the month of November, make it a date at the Obudu Mountain Race.

Work Out at the Gym

Obudu Mountain Resort has a fitness center stocked with state of the art facilities cities to help you stay fit and in shape. 


Their instagram handle is @obuduresort. Go check the page out, follow and message that to get information on how to make reservations and spend time in the most beautiful place on earth. 


Have you ever been to Obudu Mountain Resort? What was your experience? Would you want a repeat visit? Got any ideas on any beautiful tourism sites to visit in Nigeria? 

I hope y'all loved this post. Like comment and don't forget to subscribe. 

Have a great week!!! 



Comments

  1. Would love to visit for 2 weeks. It truly is an amazing place and soo beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. It truly is. Thanks for reading luv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love to be here one day, maybe for my honey moon with linda ikeji,,,,,lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts